Sunday, March 2, 2014

And The Oscar Goes To...

In honor of Hollywood's biggest night, here's a look at a pre-prom dinner that I styled for a friend last May.


Her daughter's prom had a hollywood theme, and with the recent release of the Great Gatsby, I was easily inspired to create an Old Hollywood meets the Roaring Twenties tablescape. I started a "pinspiration" board and then went to work sourcing what I needed to bring my vision to life for them.

My friend was borrowing some folding tables and chairs from her church and planning to host the dinner on her beautiful patio for her daughter and about twelve friends. Cooking for that many would be so stressful for me, I was happy to handle the decor for her!

First up, table coverings... and Martha Stewart's Celebration line at JCPenney did not disappoint. I found a pretty gold paper linen-look tablecloth, surprisingly elegant with the affordability of paper, and bought coordinating dinner and cocktail napkins from the same collection.


Shimmer tied up the flatware with sheer gold ribbon and topped each dinner plate with the pretty place-setting. She had the best time being my assistant as we set-up that afternoon and even played photographer, snapping a few pictures before the guests arrived.


The table centerpieces were made up of white feather boa topiaries I made and some of my own jewelry mixed with strings of party beads in metallic and iridescent shades. No Hollywood pre-party would be complete with a few Oscars statuettes. I downloaded the templates for those from Twig & Thistle and spray painted them gold.


When I think of the big screen, I think of popcorn... so, I made popcorn boxes from white cardstock and trimmed them with gold shimmery stars and pretty silver ribbon. Such a fun pre-party favor and the perfect snack for hungry teenagers! Star-trimmed swizzle sticks were added to their water goblets as a tribute to Hollywood's walk of fame, and the silver polka-dot flag banners I made from tissue paper were strung above the table. The way they fluttered in the wind added just the right amount of charm to the space.


The guest of honor, my friend's daughter, was stunned... she had no idea her mom asked me to help with this. We were told her friends were all just as surprised and that our pre-prom dinner decor set the tone for a magical night.

Enjoy the magic tonight as dreams unfold at the 86th Annual Academy Awards... I hope your favorite wins!

No comments:

Post a Comment