Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Easter reading list

Last weekend, Shine brought me down an Easter storybook to read before bedtime.  It was a Lois Lenski book called, The Easter's Rabbit's Parade.  I gave it to him, I think three years ago now.  I love children's books (especially vintage), and almost every Easter, I buy Shimmer and Shine a new book to open from Mommy.


They aren't always Easter-themed. I expand to spring and classic Easter-related birds and animals.
 
Here are a few of our favorites, in order from top to bottom and left to right...


1.  Bunny's Noisy Book, Margaret Wise Brown  (a perennial favorite of Shine's from year's past)
2.  The Tale of Jemima Puddle-Duck, Beatrix Potter (any of her classics)
3.  Guess How Much I Love You,  Sam McBratney (our family still repeats every night at bedtime how far we love each other)
4.  The Fuzzy Duckling, Jane Werner Watson
5.  Make Way for Ducklings, Robert McCloskey
6.  The Country Bunny and The Little Gold Shoes, Du Bose Heyward
7.  The Runaway Bunny, Margaret Wise Brown
8.  The Easter Bunny That Overslept, Priscilla and Otto Friedrich
9.  The Golden Egg Book, Margaret Wise Brown (where would we be without her wonderful books?)
10.  A Child's Book of Easter, Holly Pond Hill (one of Shimmer's favorites and it never mattered what time of year it was -- Christ is actually mentioned, too)
11.  Spring is Here, Lois Lenski (Shimmer has her entire series of seasons books... they are treasures)
12.  The Easter Rabbit's Parade, Lois Lenski  (I enjoy the illustrations in this more than the story)

I hope these inspire you to add something new to your child's bookshelf, or least give you some ideas for a trip to your local library.

 
You know what I just realized?  We don't have the Tale of Three Trees in our Easter pile, so it missed the photos :(  I had it in our Christmas advent and will need to go get that out and add to our Easter reading basket!  It's one of the few Easter books I know of, that revolves around the true meaning of Easter.  I discovered another one this year though, and am looking forward to reading it together.


 It's called The Donkey who carried a King, by R.C. Sproul.

 
I also ordered The Egg Tree by Katherine Milhous.  It's my vintage pick for this year.  I haven't decided who gets which yet.  I'll have to preview them when they arrive on my doorstep.

The real story of Easter can be found in the gospels of the New Testament.  Try reading Luke chapter 24 and the book of John chapter 20 verses 1 thru 18.    I've attached links to the scripture in case you don't have a Bible nearby.  Thank you, Jesus, for the suffering you endured for all of our sins, and for the hope your resurrection provides to each one of us who asks you into our hearts.  Make us new and ever thankful for your sacrifice.

1 comment:

  1. I decided to give The Egg Tree to Shimmer and The Donkey who carried a King to Shine. Highly recommend both books :)

    ReplyDelete