Sunday, December 2, 2012

Heirloom Advent

In keeping with the advent theme, I thought I would post a look at another tradition I enjoy sharing with Shimmer and Shine. Way back in 1981, my great aunt and uncle gave my sister and I each beautiful advent calendars. They traveled a lot and always gave us special gifts at the holidays. This glittery treasure is from Germany. I know they would love that another generation looks forward each day in December to finding the date and opening the corresponding window to see what holiday picture awaits inside. I am so grateful for the love they always showed me and that I still have this remembrance of my childhood Christmases to share with their great-great niece and nephew.



On a recent trip to Concord, MA, I stumbled upon some new advent calendars in a charming toy store there. You can search German advent calendars online and find a scene that speaks to you and your family. On Pinterest tonight I actually found a calendar with the same scene as mine! Hover over the word calendar in blue to go to the link and for a small price it can be yours... mine is priceless to me.

Before I go, here's a peek at the book Shimmer and Shine opened from their pile today... The Mitten. They came home from church and wanted to open one. Shine read the classic story, one of his wintertime favorites, to all of us.



See you tomorrow for more Christmas Cheer!

No comments:

Post a Comment