Saturday, December 22, 2012

Sand Tarts

I finally finished baking our sand tarts last night. With Shimmer not feeling well I was pretty much on my own decorating them this year, although Shine did come in from building a snowman to help with the last dozen. Here are a few photos from last year's sand tart day.





These cookies are so much work and the dough can be really frustrating to roll (it is dryer than normal sugar cookie dough); but, they are THE best cookies and it wouldn't be Christmas in our home without them. The recipe has been passed down through my dad's family. I've seen other cookies that people call sand tarts; but, these I believe are a Pennsylvania Dutch tradition.



Does anyone else make them like we do? We use vintage HRM Christmas cookie cutters. Or, do you have a family recipe that's a staple at your house over the holidays? Love's family favorite... Viola's Orange Cookies. I'm still mastering that one ;)
______________________________________________________________________

Shine chose a book from the small pile remaining tonight. It was a beautiful book that Hallmark put out at Christmas a few years ago featuring two classic carols, Up on the Housetop and Jolly Old St. Nicholas.


He will be heard singing these songs throughout our house for days now ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment